Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Puppet Construction

Trish Building The Octopus

Fun With Puppets


Constructing The Legs


Trish Lipani-Puppet Lady


Pawel Chomczyk & Dagmara Sowa


The Deputy's Horse


The Sheriff's Horse


The Governor's Horse


The Octopus


Barry
Traditional Polish Rod Puppet Construction


This production enabled me to employ some of the skills that I acquired on my Fulbright at the Aleksander Zelwerowicz State Theatre Academy in Bialystok, Poland. While there I had the opportunity to work with the Academy professors and theatre artists from Europe. Pawel Chomczyk and his very soon to be wife Dagmara Sowa provided many suggestions on traditional Polish puppet construction. Dr. Marek Waszkiel, the director of Teatr Lalek in Bialystok also provided me with a unique opportunity to interact with puppetry artists and constructors, as did Wojciech Kobrzynski and Wieslaw Czlopinski of the Aleksander Zelwerowicz State Theatre Academy. I am in debt to my Polish colleagues for the knowledge that they have shared with me. I would also like to thank Mr. Timothy Velraeds , a puppet artist and puppet constructor from The Netherlands, for showing me the methods of working in latex.
A special thanks to Ms. Trish Lipani for her assistance in designing and construction of the puppets used in this production. Her skills with my sewing machine far exceed mine. Trish is a writer of fiction and poetry and is a skilled seamstress.


No comments: